XPO Logistics, Inc. is a leading company in supply chain management solutions, It was ranked No.1 in the Fortune 500 for 2020 under the category of transportation and logistics. The secret to their success is most fascinating one as they are ranking top in this segment for the fourth time in a row, XPO manages the supply chains for around 50,000 customers, including 69 of the Fortune 100.
XPO operates as a highly integrated network of people, technology and physical assets in 32 countries, with 1540 locations and approximately 100000 employees. Under CEO Bradley S. Jacobs the company keeps growing year by year
History of XPO Logistics
XPO Logistics was Established in 1989 in Michigan with the name Express-1 Expedited Solutions, the company later adopted its current name in 2011 and has grown to become one of the leading logistics companies in the United States.
Values of XPO Logistics
1. Safe -XPO’s safety culture gives importance to the well-being of their employees and customers. One of their main objectives is to achieve zero job-related injuries and accidents. As a result, they always achieve recordable rates that are below industry averages for accidents and unplanned, undesired events that adversely affect the completion of a task.
2. Entrepreneurial They are not rigid hence they’re boldly optimistic about reinventing industries and shaping the future of how business can meet customer needs. They embrace change. This provides them solutions for challenges they face and creates wins for our customers and their customers.
3. Respectful Xpo logistics inc nyse xpo is an expert in creating new markets, spotting unnoticed opportunities and discovering smart ways to tackle challenges because they listen to their employees, their partners, and their customers. They keep everyone close to them on their journey. Respect for each other’s individual strengths drives this collaboration.
4. Innovative They always come up with innovative game-changing ideas – They work upon things considered impossible by many. XPO is highly passionate to invest in pioneering technologies and innovative supply chain services that focus on customer delight.
5. Inclusive XPO celebrates individuality. Their workplace is more inclusive regardless of gender or gender identity, race or ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability. This value boosts workforce motivation.
Success Elements of XPO
The following operations combined with their transportation and logistics business models forms a major part of their success.
XPO focused its activities towards sustainability and was named an Inbound Logistics Green 75 Supply Chain Partner for the fourth consecutive year, based on: measurable green results, innovation in sustainability, continuous improvement and industry recognition.
A proprietary warehouse management platform that integrates advanced automation and consolidates common warehouse functions in one control Centre that evolves through machine learning;
Online and Offline Bid Systems
An expedited bid system for truck transportation that uses an automated, web-based auction portal to match loads to carriers, as well as an online bid platform for air charter and air freight shipments requiring expedited service
XPO connects independent road carriers with companies that need to ship materials, parts, or finished goods
Intermodal and drayage
XPO combines railroad and truck (drayage) transportation. It owns or leases intermodal containers and chassis.
XPO arranges the home delivery of heavy goods that typically require assembly or installation, like washing machines, refrigerators, exercise equipment and home entertainment systems.
Consumerization of Last Mile experiences
Consumerization of the last mile experience, including smart-speaker tracking capabilities with voice-activated Amazon Alexa, Google Siri, and on-screen Google Search
Experimentation with VR and AR
XPO is constantly building upon VR and AR applications for internal staff, clients, and household customers. In June 2018, XPO launched an augmented reality application that allows household customers to place purchased items in their homes using a mobile app
XPO transports freight between cities, countries, and continents. Cross-border shipments travel by ground, air, or ocean. Contract logistics XPO operates many warehouses and is one of the global players in contract logistics. Its services include: e-commerce warehousing and distribution; omnichannel order fulfillment, Reverse Logistics; predictive analytics and supply chain optimization; and cold chain, etc
The proprietary XPO Connect digital freight marketplace and Drive XPO carrier mobile app, which connect shippers with carriers, and enables real-time market visibility
Impactful CSR Initiatives
XPO was recognized for its various CSR Initiatives check them out from their website
The success of XPO Logistics aka Hall of Fames
- Named by Kings of the Supply Chain as the winner of the Innovation Award in France (2020)
- Named a winner of the Freight Waves 2020 Freight Tech 100 Award (2018; 2019)
- Named one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune (2018; 2019)
- Recognized by News week as one of America’s Most Responsible Companies (2019)
- Recognized by Ford Motor Companies with World Excellence Award for expedite innovation (2019)
- Named by Whirlpool Corporation as Intermodal Carrier of the Year (2019)
- Named a Leader in the Magic Quadrant for 3PL Providers by Gartner (2018; 2019)
- Named a Winning “W” Company by 2020 Women on Boards for gender diversity of the board of directors (2019)
- Named one of Spain’s Best Companies to Work for by Forbes (2019)
- Recognized by General Motors with Supplier of the Year Award for aftermarket distribution (2019)
- Recognized by Raytheon with EPIC Supplier Excellence Award for on-time delivery (2019)Named a Top 100 3PL by Inbound Logistics (2014; 2015; 2016; 2017; 2018; 2019)
- Named the #3 best company to work for in the UK by Marie Claire (2019)
Being competent is everybody’s dream but there is a price for everything. For the tough keeps going as the going turns tough. Throughout this COVID crisis, XPO has been working to keep global supply chains moving while partnering with customers and organizations to deliver critical supplies. For one to excel amidst every crisis the idea is to keep all the stakeholders close throughout the journey. Adopt the strategy to keep our customers and workforce happy, move towards sustainability and Innovate and Reinvent. Success will come the way!